Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Marder IIIh

I have started a new hobby....building plastic models.  Normally i just paint my 15 or 25mm figures for wargames but I wanted a change in pace so i thought I would get back into plastic models.  My goals are to improve my painting techniques and get me otivated to branch out into more research opportunities.

Modeling has sure changed since I was a kid. Not only has the quality increased but nobody builds out of the box anymore.  There is an array for after market items to add details and parts that are not included in the kit.  My first attempt is from Dragon and it is a 1/35 scale Marder IIIh.  It came with an aluminum gun barrel (no mold lines to sand), photo etched brass parts, tracks made from individual links and probably 400 pieces to build from.  Back in the day this kit probably would have had 100 pieces max.

I am almost finished at this point.  Still have the painting and weathering to complete.  i am going to focus on chipping and adding pigments to simulate mud and dust.  Probablt take me a couple of months to complete.


Trying to fit the gunner in place.  Very crowded!


 Gun shield in place

 Finished painting the base coat

Next will probably be adding some details like spare tracks, and the main tracks themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment